Pages Menu

Community news for the Quincy, Washington, area since 1949

Categories Menu

Posted on Oct 9, 2015

Marvin L. Schallhorn

Marvin Lee Schallhorn of George has drifted off and left his recliner permanently. He has expired and gone to meet his maker. His spirit was released from his worn out body and he is reminiscing with his other family and friends that went before him. Honestly, we think they’re having a party up there – just as he would have wanted.
He left George on Sept. 20, 2015. He was born Nov. 23, 1942, in Medford, Ore., to Anna and Melvin Schallhorn. Marvin was the ripe ol’ age of 72 years and 10 months when he kicked the bucket, bought the farm, ate his last candy bar and called his girls “turkey butts” for the final time.

Marvin Schallhorn

Marvin Schallhorn

He left behind the lawn to mow, two dogs, a multitude of cats to feed and numerous other chores that will probably never be completed. Marvin has since passed the torch to his two daughters and their families: Denise (Scott) Patton and their two children, Cody and Aimee of Greenacres, and Joy (Devyn) Derrick of Spokane Valley and their son, Zak Garrett of Moscow, Idaho. His other partners in crime when growing up were his five sisters, Ella (Tommy) Valdez, Darlene Palmer, Carol (Billy) Valdez, Susan (Chuck) Johnson and Christine (Jake) DeWald, and two brothers, Ron (Linda) Schallhorn and Mike (Judi) Schallhorn, and numerous nieces and nephews. The loved ones that left before Marvin were: his mother Anna Elizabeth Schallhorn and his father Melvin Eby Schallhorn and a few other family and friends.
Marvin drifted through the public school system and completed school through the 10th grade. He enlisted in the U.S. Army National Guard in 1964, working in automotive maintenance and was presented with the badges of Expert with Carbine Bar and Sharpshooter with Rifle Bar. Marvin was later married to Diane Baker in 1968 and they had two children. He worked at Big Bend Concrete Pipe Company, Basin Oil Company, Forney’s and a few other agricultural industries in his lifetime as well.
There will not be a viewing as his family refuses to honor his request to have him sitting in the corner of the room in his favorite recliner, holding a cigarette with his dog sitting on his lap, so he would appear natural to all who came to visit.
At the request of the family, Marvin was cremated and his ashes will be kept with family until a later time, when he will be placed in the cremation wall at the Quincy Valley Cemetery near a dear friend who went before him.
Marvin’s last wish was to not go out with tears. He wanted a party – a celebration of his life. We know he liked to party because even before he was old enough to party he got caught as a minor in possession of alcohol. Everyone who remembers him is asked to celebrate Marvin’s life in their own way; raising a glass of their favorite drink in his memory would be quite appropriate. Instead of flowers, Marvin would rather you use that money to do an unexpected and unsolicited act of kindness for some poor, unfortunate soul in his name.
Marvin was a hard-working man with a pretty dry sense of humor and was respected and liked by many. May he rest in peace in knowing that he is missed each and every day, for he was someone special who meant more than words can say.
Please leave a memory for the family or sign its online guestbook at Scharbach’s Columbia Funeral Chapel in Quincy is assisting the family with cremation arrangements.

Share This Story!Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someoneShare on Google+Share on LinkedInPrint this pagePin on PinterestShare on Tumblr