Fire destroys Quincy home; 2 PUD employees remain in hospital
Friday fire destroys rural Quincy home
A kitchen fire last week destroyed a home in rural Quincy.
The estimated loss of the home is $120,000, said Jerry Bessett, deputy fire marshal of the Grant County Fire Marshal’s Office. No one was injured in the fire.
On Oct. 16, firefighters were called at about 6:15 p.m. to a structure on fire at 900 Road N N.W. When firefighters arrived they found the manufactured home was fully engulfed in flames, Bessett said.
Homeowner Arvin Van Dyke told investigators that he was drying shelled walnuts in his kitchen oven with the oven door ajar. He briefly left the oven unattended, going outside the home. From outside, Van Dyke saw the fire through a window in the front of the home, Bessett said.
As Van Dyke called 911, his son arrived. However, the men were unable to put out the fire, which was coming from inside the oven, Bessett said.
Their attempts failed because a fire extinguisher was not functioning, he added.
Van Dyke was able to turn off power before abandoning the home, Bessett said.
Grant County Fire District No. 3 responded to the fire with 20 personnel, two engines and two water tenders, Chief Don Fortier said.
2 PUD workers still in Seattle hospital
Two employees injured in an explosion earlier this month at Priest Rapids Dam remain hospitalized at Harborview Medical Center, a hospital spokeswoman said.
One of the employees is in critical condition and the other is in serious condition, the hospital reported earlier this week. The men are being treated in the intensive care unit for burns sustained in the accident.
Six employees were injured in the Oct. 8 explosion. All are electricians or power plant operators.
Of the six, all have spent time at the Seattle hospital. Most recently, two of the injured men were released in the past week.
The explosion happened inside the powerhouse when a circuit breaker, which acts as the “on-off” switch for one of the dam’s 10 turbine/generating units, malfunctioned, the Grant PUD has reported.
The incident is under investigation.