Suspected teenage shooter held on $250,000 bail
Bail was set on Monday at $250,000 for a 16-year-old Quincy boy who allegedly shot a man in the back in a gang-related incident.
Cesar A. Mendoza appeared before Judge John Knodell in Grant County Superior Court on charges of first-degree assault and second-degree unlawful possession of a firearm.
Mendoza, who will be tried as an adult, returns to court on May 5 to enter a plea. At that time, bail may be lowered, Knodell told Mendoza.
Last Friday, just before 2 p.m., Quincy police were called to the parking lot at Quincy Market for reports of gunfire. However, when they arrived, officers were not able to locate any suspects in the immediate area. The victim, David Rubio, 23, also had been taken to Quincy Valley Medical center by a private vehicle.
A witness to the shooting said Rubio was being chased by a small group of young men when one of them caught up to Rubio, shooting him from only 3 to 5 feet away. Video from Quincy Market did not cover the area where the shooting occurred; however, it shows Mendoza and three other young men running from the scene.
Mendoza, who later was identified by a witness as the shooter, was quickly picked up by police at 7th Avenue and J Street Southwest. An officer chased four subjects to the residential neighborhood and was able to detain two of them, including Mendoza.
A revolver later was found in a lumber pile behind a shed on J Street Southwest. The shed is located a few feet from where the officer detained the subjects, according to the police report. The gun was loaded with one live round along with four spent casings, according to the report.
From the Quincy hospital, Rubio was transported to Central Washington Hospital, where he was in satisfactory condition on Wednesday.
Mendoza has a prior third-degree assault conviction.
— By Jill FitzSimmons, email@example.com