Pages Menu

Community news for the Quincy, Washington, area since 1949

Categories Menu

Posted on Mar 4, 2016

Two teens arrested in attempted home burglary

Quincy police arrested two teenagers they suspect were burglarizing a home after a woman called to report seeing them walking inside her neighbor’s house.
One of the teens, a 14-year-old boy, recently was arrested on numerous vandalism charges, Police Chief Bob Heimbach said. The boy is suspected of tagging gang graffiti on some 40 homes, public buildings and more. He was arrested three weeks ago for those crimes.
“They are terrorizing the community,” Heimbach said of the teenage boys’ actions.
Last Friday, a woman living in the 700 block of I Street Southwest called police shortly before 1 p.m. after she saw two teenage boys knocking on the front door to her neighbor’s home. When no one answered, the boys started looking in the windows, Heimbach said.
The suspects allegedly used a rock to break into the home through a window, the chief said. No one was home at the time. Police waited for the boys outside and apprehended them when they came out, Heimbach said.
The boys were arrested on charges of residential burlary and malicious mischief.
At the police station, one of the boys allegedly confessed to breaking into two other homes in the past few weeks, including one home in the 500 block of M Street Southwest where more than $6,000 worth of items were taken, Heimbach said.
“I think it’s disheartening for the communtiy that we have youth who think it’s acceptable to break into people’s homes and that there is no concern on their part that they will be held accountable,” Heimbach said. “We do our job. We take them to juvenile (detention) and they are back here in the community doing even more crimes.”
The Quincy Valley Post-Register was unable to reach Grant County Prosecutor Garth Dano for comment by deadline on Wednesday.
Heimbach reminds people to call the police when they see any suspicious activity.
“The cool thing about this arrest was the neighbor recognized the suspects were acting suspicious and it made her pause,” Heimbach said. “But the best part is she picked up the phone and called 911. She got involved.”


— By Jill FitzSimmons,